August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Booth House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
No Link Available People Links Related Sites
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  Br17A.2-S  
  Prepared Date:  7/9/2007
  Revised Date:  12/22/2010
Submitter
 
Submitter Name:  John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719
631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Site Name:    Booth House
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  Probably originally on the south east corner of Beaver Dam Rd. and Meadow Lane (before Meadow Lane was established).
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:    5a-Address: 
Historic and Architectural Importance
 
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
  Reference on 19th and early 20th century maps to a house occupied by "G. Booth," "C. H. Booth," and "Mrs. D. Booth," located directly across Beaverdam Road from the Brewster Rose house (Br17A) and to the east of the Albin house (Br18), probably on the site of the modern Ince House (Br17A.1-S).

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site
Maps from 1873 to 1920.

Patchogue Advance, 26 November 1929, p. 16:
The old Booth homestead that has stood for nearly 100 years on Beaver Dam Road and slowly decayed in many years of vacancy, has partly fallen in.  One half is standing ready to cave in with the first good storm.  The place belongs to Mrs. Laura [Swezey] Booth of Babylon and other heirs who never come near the place.  The property is one of the prettiest lots in Brookhaven and in summer the many vines and trees, when in bloom, are very picturesque.  The honeysuckle vines, the lilac bushes and the peach blooms show that at one time it was a fine old homestead.

 
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
Torn down in March 1930.  «»
11-Remarks
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  No Link Available  
Supplemental Material
«»
Prepared By
  John Deitz