August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Joseph Carman / Carman Lush House (now destroyed)

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
Photos and images People Links No Link Available
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  Br16.2-S  
  Prepared Date:  5/3/2004
  Revised Date:  11/23/2011
Submitter
 
Submitter Name:  John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719
631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Site Name:    Joseph Carman / Carman Lush House (now destroyed)
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  The house formerly stood at the foot of Beaver Dam Rd., north side, at the Carman's River (Squassux Land). Known as the Joseph Carman House, the Carman Lush House, then the Michelsen House.
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:    5a-Address:  Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge
Historic and Architectural Importance
 
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
  A house, belonging to Joseph Carman, located on the Carman's or Connecticut River at the east end of Beaver Dam Road has existed at least since 1858, and probably dates to about the time of his marriage to Abigail Ketcham in 1843. The house was known more recently as the former Carman Lush or Michelson House, both of whom made modifications. Carman Lush purchased the property in 1906, and remodeled it into a large Summer home. It was purchased in 1932 from the Carman Lush Estate by Bernardine B. Michelsen. The Michelson's operated it as a summer resort hotel, called the Swan Inn.

This description is from an advertisement for sale or rental of the property about 1920. The advertisement read:

Beautiful Residence at Long Island

TO LET OR FOR SALE

          Brookhaven is on the Montauk Division of the L.I.R.R., sixty-one miles from Pennsylvania or Flatbush Stations.  Six miles east of Patchogue.  House is less than a mile from the R.R. Station.
          The property has a long frontage on Carman's River and is near to Great South Bay.
          In the summer ferries run twice a day, from dock adjoining property to Smith's Point Beach.
          There is a clear grove of about 10 acres, and more than twenty-six acres in all.
          The barn will hold two automobiles or three horses and four carriages.  The house has fifteen rooms, sits back from the street almost two hundred yards, faces south and commands unobstructed view of the bay.  The rooms are neatly furnished and everything in good condition.  Cellar under the whole house and all windows and porch screened.  Beautiful sun parlor, three open fire places, two bath rooms, electric lights, laundry tubs, etc.  Weber piano and row boat go with place.  Large garden, with abundance of asparagus, red and black currants, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries and front trees.  Excellent water and healthy surroundings.
          No better place for sailing, canoeing, bathing and fishing.
          For further particulars and terms communicate with

CARMAN R. LUSH (Owner)
Hempstead, N.Y.

Handwritten at the bottom:  In the 1920A.  Purchased in 1932 from the Carman Lush Estate by Bernardine B. Michelsen.

A portion of Joseph Carman's/Carman Lush's original holdings south of Beaverdam Rd (now the Squassux Landing marina) was sold to James H. Post in 1917 (Deed Liber 609, page 370-372). The Post family heirs eventually deeded it to the Brookhaven Village Association for a community marina.

The property north of Beaverdam Rd. purchased by the Michelson's, was on the west bank of the Carman's River, centered around a small creek called Little Neck Run. It appears to have been both a private club, called the Little Neck Run Club, maintained by Rolf Michelsen for personal friends, and a summer resort guest house.

The Michelsen property on the river was said to have been offered to developers by Grace and Rolf Michelson, but they ended up selling it to the Nature Conservancy for about $6000 an acre. The sale was held up for several months pending the Michelsen's attempts to move Stanley Joseph Negvesky off the property; that was one of Nature Conservancy's requirements. There were several hearings concerning the sale to developers. About 1974, this site was incorporated into the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge.

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other It is said that the basement foundation can still be found.  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site
From 1901-1906, the artist Frederick Kost leased the property (Patchogue Advance, 11 May 1906)

In May, 1906, the Carman estate with the adjoining Paul Cessman farm, in all 72 acres stretching over half a mile along the Carmans River, was sold to Carman R. Lush of Hempstead for $15,000. (LI Advance, "From the Archives of the Long Island Advance" One Hundred Years Ago May 25, 2006)

Mention of the "Swan Inn," a summer guest house operated by Mrs. Bernardine B. Michelsen. may be found in the Patchogue Advance from 1935 through 1948.

 
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
Destroyed by fire, some have said to have occurred "Easter Weekend 1965." The house was said to have "contained at that time 14 bedrooms and the piano used by Irving Berlin when he was at Camp Yaphank."

From Ron Kinsella, a former chief of the Brookhaven Fire Department: "I remember the house fire being on Easter and the chief being a James Winters. He served as chief 1966-1968.
"The fire had consumed too much of the house before the fire department was activated. No attempt was made to save the house.
"The house did have a fire prior to this one and the fire was extinguished leaving most of the house in relative good condition. I can not tell you the exact date of this event but I am quite certain that it was no more then a year before the Easter fire."

Easter occurred on April 18, 1965, April 10, 1966, March 26, 1967, and April 14, 1968. No record of this fire could be found in a search of the Patchogue Advance near these dates.
 
«»
11-Remarks
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  Photos and images  
Supplemental Material

Patchogue Advance, 5 September 1946, p. 4.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dudley Hollister of Closter, N.J., who bought the Joseph Carman place on Beaver Dam road last year, spent the weekend there.  They are making arrangements to remodel the house and eventually make it their home.  Mr. Hollister is connected with the photographic division of the Fairchild Engine and Airplain company of Jamaica and he reports that George Washington, Jr., a former resident of this village, is also connected with that concern."


 

«»
Prepared By
  John Deitz