August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Former Ketcham Private Graveyard

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
No Link Available No Link Available No Link Available
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  Br06A.2-S  
  Prepared Date:  11/26/2005
  Revised Date:  11/26/2005
Submitter
 
Submitter Name: 
Submitter Address:


Organization:
Identification
1-Site Name:    Former Ketcham Private Graveyard
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  About 368 South Country Rd.
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:    5a-Address: 
Historic and Architectural Importance
 
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
  (1939 description) Former Ketcham private graveyard, on that part of the property formerly owned by Scuddet Ketcham, later by Timothy Ketcham, now (1939) owned by Desmond Nelson, and about where his garage stands, Fireplace. (BROOKHAVEN VILLAGE) The inscriptions on the oldd stones were copied on a monument placed in Cern. 28, Bellport. The stones were then removed and stored in a building near the road, on that part of the property now owned by Jacob Valentine. When the building later was used as a shop, they were thrown out and have since gradually disappeared

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site
 
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
 «»
11-Remarks
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  No Link Available  
Supplemental Material
«»
Prepared By
  John Deitz