August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Ellison House

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
Photos and images People Links No Link Available
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  Br05D.1-S  
  Prepared Date:  6/30/2003
  Revised Date:  6/30/2003
Submitter
 
Submitter Name: 
Submitter Address:


Organization:
Identification
1-Site Name:    Ellison House
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  South Country Rd., North of Brook House. (The current Brook House is the original location of what is now known as the Brook Store.)
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:    5a-Address: 
Historic and Architectural Importance
Thomas Ellison was an early 19th century resident of Fire Place, and the Proprietor of the what is now known as the Brook Store.  
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
  This house was formerly occupied by Thomas Ellison, original proprieter with his mother of the Brook Store. The house stood just to the north of the original location of the Brook Store, on the west side of South Country Rd.

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site
From "Early Photographs of the Hamlet of Brookhaven collected by George Perley Morse 1945-1959." 1873 Beers map of Brookhaven Hamlet. On the 1873 map it is labeled "Mrs. J. Ellison." It is uncertain who she might have been -- but likely Thomas Ellison's wife, Serifita (b. abt 1813). Thomas' middle initial was "J." She may have taken his middle name as her married name. It is unlikely to have been Thomas' mother, Elizabeth (b. 1785/1786), as her husband's name was Richard.  
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
1952  «»
11-Remarks
It was in bad repair when it was destroyed by fire in 1952
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  Photos and images  
Supplemental Material
«»
Prepared By
  John Deitz