August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Site of fish house

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
Photos and images People Links No Link Available
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  Br05D  
  Prepared Date:  9/3/1982
  Revised Date:  9/3/1982
Submitter
 
Submitter Name:  Town of Brookhaven/SPLIA
Submitter Address: Town Hall
205 S. Ocean Ave.
Patchogue, NY 11772
631-634-7806
Organization: Brookhaven Community Development Agency
Identification
1-Site Name:    Site of fish house
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  Beaver Dam Creek, hamlet of Brookhaven, west side of South Country Road, behind Brook House (see Br05)
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:  Could be one of several present day owners; exact site unknown   5a-Address: 
Historic and Architectural Importance
[Map referenced above is not reproducible.]  
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
 

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site
"Map showing a part of Beaver Dam Brook with Fish House and Ponds thereon and the south end of Lot 14 in the Great Division of Lots in Brookhaven township." From the leatherbound book of Judge J. Lawrence Smith, collection Smithtown Library. see attached Date sometime after 1873, judging by name Valentine Store: Bishop owned store before Valentine and is so listed on the 1873 map.  
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
 «»
11-Remarks
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  Photos and images  
Supplemental Material
«»
Prepared By