August Hawkins and his sister Prudence around 1900

Menu


Brookhaven-South Haven BLOG:  news, events, and commentary

 

 

 

 

 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Table of ContentsReturn to Sites Table of Contents

Unless indicated below, this is a transcript of the original Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities/Town of Brookhaven survey form.  Corrections to obvious typographical and spelling errors have been made.  Corrections to factual errors, updates or comments on the information are either enclosed in [square brackets], or will be clearly indicated as updated material.  Since most of the surveys were conducted in the late 1970's and early 1980's, much of the information reflects that time period.  Included in this category are sites for which some documentation may exist but are no longer extant often with little or no modern evidence at the site.

Sites which have a suffix of "S" are supplemental sites not included in the original surveys. 

Archeological Site Inventory Form

Original Site Brookhaven Fire Department

 If checked, this is a Supplemental Form, not in the original surveys.

Click for
Photos and images No Link Available Related Sites
Photo People Other Links Printer Friendly
Inventory Code:  Br04A.2-S  
  Prepared Date:  2/19/2009
  Revised Date:  2/19/2009
Submitter
 
Submitter Name:  John Deitz
Submitter Address: 7 Locust Rd.

Brookhaven, NY 11719
631-286-3178
Organization:
Identification
1-Site Name:    Original Site Brookhaven Fire Department
2a-County:  Suffolk 2b-Town:  Brookhaven 2c-Village: Hamlet of Brookhaven  
3-Location:  Northwest Corner of Seeley and Bridge Streets
Ownership
   4a-Public Site    4b-Private Site
4-Present Owner:    5a-Address: 
Historic and Architectural Importance
This was the site of the first fire house for the Brookhaven Fire Department, founded May 10th, 1923.

July 26th, 1926
Contract was signed with the Brown Brothers for $2,216.92 for construction of the first fire house.

October 5th, 1926
Ground broken for the Fire House. Mike Gillespie did the excavating with a horse drawn scoop shovel.

Patchogue Advance, 19 Dec 1941, p. 12: 15 Years Ago—Dec 14, 1926
"The new Brookhaven firehouse will be open for inspection and an old-time housewarming held tonight. The building, which stands on Railroad place [modern Bridge street], near Montauk highway [modern South Country road] is a frame structure 48 feet by 24 feet, one story high. John H. Morton, Samuel Bird and George Reeve onstitute the fire committee. George Waldron is chief and Fred D. Swezey, assistant chief."

December 15th, 1945
Fire house burns down with complete loss of both the houses and all equipment. All records were also lost except for the minutes of the four years of the company which John Morton had neglected to place in the fire house.

 
6- Description, Condition, Evidence of Site
  The concrete slab of the original floor is still there. The site is presently used site to store heavy equipment equipment.

 6a-Standing Ruins

 6b-Cellar Hole with Walls  

 6c-Surface Traces Visible  6d-Walls Without Cellar Hole
 6e-Under Cultivation  6f-Erosion
 6g-Underwater  6h-No Visible Evidence
 6i-Other  
7- Collection of Material from Site
 7a- Surface Hunting By Whom:    Date:  
 7b-Testing By Whom:  Date:  
 7c-Excavation By Whom:  Date: 
 7d-None
7e-Present Repository of Materials  
8- Prehistoric Cultural Affiliation or Date
   
9-Historical Documentation of Site
History of the Brookhaven Fire Department, http://www.brookhavenfd.com/history.htm  
10- Possibility of Site Destruction or Disturbance
 «»
11-Remarks
12- Map Location
    [If an original form, the source map images were not reproducible.]
12a- 7 1/2 Minute Quad. Name: 
12b- 15 Minute Quad. Name:   
12c- U.S.G.S Coordinates:   
12d- D.O.T. Coordinates:  (if known):   
Other Maps:   
13- Photographs
  Photos and images  
Supplemental Material
«»
Prepared By
  John Deitz