- 39 -
- The high quality of the rural scenic ambience of
- The historic aspects of the community.
- The access to the Great South Bay and marine
- The friendly and neighborly attitudes of the
- The high level of school taxes.
- The Brookhaven landfill.
- The need for more sidewalks and bikeways.
- The high cost of LILCO rates.
- The need for improved garbage removal.
- The need to control development; in particular,
strip malls and large stores should be prohibited.
- The need to control graffiti.
- The excessive amount of empty stores.
- The need for improved mosquito control.
- The need for improvements, particularly
pedestrian walkways on Beaver Dam Road.
- The need for increased police protection.
- The need for more public water.
- The need for increased youth facilities and
- The need to improve the public dock.
- The need to control traffic speed on the Montauk
- The need to regulate and control illegal multiple
- The need to provide sidewalks to the elementary
Note from the Brookhaven/South Haven Hamlet Study
Regarding the "Negative Features" listed above:
Item #3 – The committee believes that "The need for more
sidewalks and bikeways" is placed too high on this list and is
also redundant, since sidewalks are also mentioned in item #17.
Item #14 – The committee feels that community would like to see the
dock policed, rather than improved.