What's New | Photos | Histories | Sources | Reports | Cemeteries | Headstones | Statistics | Surnames
                    Brookhaven - South Haven BLOG
Note: Living people and people who may still be living have been "privatized." Only their name appears here.


 Headstones


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Start Slide Show   

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45» Next»

#29.27 William Snow

Epitaph:

A slave to no sect—takes no private road,
But looks through nature up to natures' God.

From:
An Essay on Man: In Four Epistles to H. St. John, Lord Bolingbroke.  By Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

This philosophical work is written in heroic couplets.  Pope initially had a much more ambitious scope in mind, but eventually it appeared as a series of four epistles. The first epistle concerns the nature of man and his place in the universe—the natural order God has decreed for man.  Because man cannot know God's purposes, he cannot complain about his position in the Great Chain of Being (ll.33-34) and must accept that "Whatever IS, is RIGHT" (l.292), a theme that would be satirized by Voltaire in Candide (1759).  More than any other work, it popularized optimistic philosophy throughout England and the rest of Europe.

Pope began work on it in 1729, and had finished the first three by 1731. However, they did not appear until early 1733, with the fourth epistle published the following year.  The poem was originally published anonymously; Pope did not admit authorship until 1735.

EPISTLE IV.
. . .
See the sole bliss Heaven could on all bestow!
Which who but feels can taste, but thinks can know:
Yet poor with fortune, and with learning blind,
The bad must miss; the good, untaught, will find;
Slave to no sect, who takes no private road,
But looks through Nature up to Nature's God;

Pursues that chain which links the immense design,
Joins heaven and earth, and mortal and divine;
Sees, that no being any bliss can know,
But touches some above, and some below;
Learns, from this union of the rising whole,
The first, last purpose of the human soul;
And knows, where faith, law, morals, all began,
All end, in love of God, and love of man.

[Richard Thomas, April 2012]

Loading...

Status: Located
Plot: 27

Owner/SourceJohn Deitz
Date28 Nov 2005
PlaceBarteau Cemetery, Brookhaven Hamlet, NY
File name(27)William M. Snow_800.jpg
File Size359.45k
ID110
Dimensions800 x 1067
Linked toWilliam Snow, ^

#B029 Barteau Cemetery, Brookhaven Hamlet, Suffolk County, Brookhaven Town, NY, USA

Notes:

The Barteau Cemetery is on the north side of Montauk Highway, located about 240 ft. north of Montauk Highway (South Country Rd.) in Brookhaven Hamlet, roughly midway between Horseblock Rd. and Yaphank Ave, with a right of way exiting onto Montauk Highway (about 2611-2615 Montauk highway).  It is a plot approximately 65 ft. east-west x 160 ft. north-south. While it is a flag lot with access to Montauk highway, this access is only partially maintained by the Town of Brookhaven, requiring visitors to transverse part of the way on private property.  While the occupants are cooperative, visitors should be respectful of their privacy.


View Larger Map

The Barteau family were one of the earliest residents of Fire Place (now Brookhaven). Francis Barteau moved from Huntington to Fire Place in 1741 and established a farm. The place remained in the family until 1871 when they sold it and are said to have "moved West," although some Barteau's remained in the community until well into the late 20th century.  Near to the cemetery is a home thought to be one of the original Barteau farm houses (Site ID Br04.1-S).

Prior to this report (originally drafted in 2005), the last published survey of the cemetery I've found was by John Dayton and Elbert N. Carter on 9 April 1972.  Since that time, there apparently has been some further deterioration in the readability of the stones.  Where I and others have been unable to read the stones, we have relied on their interpretations.

The 1972 Carter survey identified thirty-eight gravestones, while the c. 1939 Town of Brookhaven Historian's cemetery inventory [S98] records twenty-nine. The stone numbering is in accordance with the Dayton-Carter survey numbers. One stone has been added after the Carter survey -- the 1974 interment of Gertrude J. Barteau (#39s) -- for a total of thirty-nine documented interments. One source suggested that there was at least a fortieth (see Daniel Terry below).

In 2007, the cemetery was in fair-poor condition—a few stones have deteriorated to the point of being unreadable, and a few were down.  The site was greatly overgrown, and fallen tree-limbs and rogue bushes prevent effect mowing and routine maintenance.  The access road had become overgrown and not passable with a vehicle. The surrounding fence required repairs or replacement.  While in 2005 the graveyard itself was in fair-good condition—it appeared as if there had been some grounds maintenance—by 2007 it was again fair-poor.  Informal access can be obtained, with permission, through the backyard of the neighboring house off Montauk Highway.

The cemetery was the last remaining cemetery authorized for restoration using Caithness Community Benefit funds from the Town of Brookhaven.  Its restoration was completed in the Spring of 2012.

 It was one of the cemeteries identified in the Fire Place History Club's lawsuit and ordered to be maintained in the court decision.  In spite of the favorable ruling by the court, the Town was slow to provide any support, and the cemetery continued to deteriorate (evidence suggests mostly from storm damaged trees and limbs.)  By the Fall/Winter, 2011/2012, loss of the Caithness funds were threatened, and estimates for the repair work had escalated.  Finally, in the Spring 2012, through the efforts of many community leaders, the Town partially cleared the access road, and permission was obtained from the adjacent property owner to provide the additional access needed for the restoration work.  The Brookhaven Village Association authorized the additional needed funds from their cemetery maintenance fund (established through contributions by community members).  Extensive restoration and maintenance work was begun in April 2012 with a contract to Peconic Monument Works, Riverhead, N.Y., stone mason Hollis Warner.  It is interesting to note that Hollis discovered that at least one on the stones being repaired was originally made by the monument works in 1856.

While the cemetery is often called the Barteau Cemetery (I suppose because it was situated on the old Barteau Farm), other families obviously used it—it appears to have been a defacto community cemetery for much of the 19th century.

The oldest stones are at the south end of the cemetery. While key plan is stacked north-south, the actual stones are read facing east. The stones appear more-or-less evenly spaced in this plan. However, they are not so even spaced at the actual site—the locations are therefore approximate..

By 2005, Dayton-Carter Stone #9, John Bartow, was no longer to be found, although a footstone was present suggesting the location of a grave.  As part of the restoration work in April 2012, this stone was rediscovered near location #9.

It is said that at least three of the original interments were of Revolutionary War veterans -- Isaac Homan, said to have been removed to the Old Baptist Church Cemetery (#B049), Yaphank, NY (questionable, see Isaac Homan headstone comments); David Hulse, said to have been removed to the Cedar Hill Cemetery (#B095), Port Jefferson, NY; and Barnabas F. Rider (#29.02). Harry W. Huson in Revolutionary War Patriots Buried in the Town Of Brookhaven (Brookhaven Town Bicentennial Committee, 1976) records that Revolutionary War soldier Daniel Terry (#29.??) was also interred in this cemetery. While a record of his gravestone has not been found, it seems reasonable that this was his burial place, as his wife, Elizabeth, and children were interred here.

Since this revision was written while the restoration work was still ongoing, updated photographs will be provided when the work is completed.

This cemetery has Site Ref. ID Br04.1.1-S, is #29 on the c. 1939 Town of Brookhaven Historian's cemetery inventory, and has Suffolk County Tax Map reference 200-903-01-10. It has been assigned Brookhaven Town Department of Parks and Recreation ID 4351C47. Its approximate coordinates are Latitude N40° 47.527', Longitude W72° 54.683'.

#B029 Barteau Cemetery

Page Revised: 26 April 2012

#B029 Barteau Cemetery

Cemetery Photos

   Thumb   Description 
1#29.00.1  Barteau Cemetery, at the northeast corner of the south section #29.00.1 Barteau Cemetery, at the northeast corner of the south section
.. looking to the southwest in 2003. This is the oldest part of the cemetery 
2#29.00.2 Barteau Cemetery, at northeast corner #29.00.2 Barteau Cemetery, at northeast corner
.. looking southwest in 2005. While the earlier photograph was taken from a position about midway in the graveyard, this is from the extreme northeast corner. Note the overall improvement in the grounds from 2003 to 2005. 
3#29.00.3 Barteau Cemetery, southwest corner #29.00.3 Barteau Cemetery, southwest corner
.. looking easterly in 2005. This is the oldest part of the cemetery. 
4#29.99 Lady #29.99 Lady
.. pet gravestone 
5Bellport High School History Club Cleans Up Barteau Cemetery Bellport High School History Club Cleans Up Barteau Cemetery
On Sunday, November 23, 2008, students with the Bellport High School History Club worked to clean up the historic Barteau Cemetery in Brookhaven Hamlet. The work was done under the auspices of the Fire Place History Club members Marty Van Lith and Ron Kinsella.

Click for slide show

 
>

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45» Next»




The Hamlet People Database is maintained by John Deitz. Copyright © 2011.
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2011, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.