.. interesting homes in Brookhaven Hamlet, NY.
This Album is not a full inventory of sites in Brookhaven and South Haven hamlets. See Inventory index.
Home Search Print Add Bookmark
Matches 1 to 8 of 8 » Thumbnails Only
|1||Br32A. Swezey-DeHond House|
.. Perhaps the oldest house still standing in the Hamlet (c. 1738-40), this half-cape with addition (to left) originally stood on Beaver Dam Rd. at what later became the intersection of Locust Rd. It is known to have been occupied by William Egbert Swezey in the mid-19th century. It was moved about 1927 to the next lot up Locust Rd. when Everett Swezey built a new house on the corner lot. This home has Site ID Br32A.
|2||Br05B. Richard Corwin - Carl Olson house ["Willow Tree Cottage"]|
.. Richard Corwin House is a half-cape built in the late-18th or early-19th century and is located at 408 South Country Rd. The highway is to the left, making the house appear to be 90° to the road. This home has Site ID Br05B.
|3||Br09F. Mills Clark House|
Built first half of 19th century, this was the basic shape of all early built houses in Fire Place (Brookhaven). Like many homes of the era, it was erected close to the highway. This home has Historic Site ID Br09F.
|4||Br29B. Rose House.|
..This house was built before 1818 for "Senator" John Rose, son of Revolutionary War hero Lt. Thomas Rose. John Rose married Elizabeth Rose, daughter of Priest David Rose, Pastor of the Old South Haven Church during the Revolutionary War. The Rose's were among the earliest residents of the Hamlet. The house looks much as it did at least from the late 19th century. The Rose family occupied the house until at least the early 20th century. The smaller wing on the right is said to have been once used as a small store. The modern address for the house is 228 Beaver Dam Rd. This home has Historic Site ID Br29B.
|5||Br30C. Nathaniel Miller House|
.. This house was built in about 1815 for Dr. Nathaniel Miller, a physician and farmer. It is located at 9 Fire Place Neck Rd. The wing on the right was the original house, the front facing south, 90° to the road. The Miller's had extensive land holdings in the Hamlet, and maintained the farm for three generations. This home has Historic Site ID Br30C.
|6||Br23.051a: Brookhaven Chalet|
.. Hidden away in Brookhaven Hamlet is this interesting house. It is situated at the south end of Hawkins Lane down near the marshes of the Great South Bay shoreline. Hawkins Lane is a discontinuous street, the southern end is reached from Bond lane.
Real estate listing by Douglas Elliman, 2015, stated: ".. Completely Remodeled Castle Like Colonial On 9.75 Acres, Redone Inside And Out. Nestled On Private Road. This 11 Room, 5 Bdrm, 2.5 Bth Luxurious Colonial Boasts European Living Fit For A King. Dual Staircase In Eh, Marble Flrs, Marble Bths, Ss Appiances, French Drs, Wood Flrs And Much More. A True Turn Key." Listing price: $949,000.
The history of this house has been lost to the mists of time. Many local residents believe it is proof-positive of 16th century French colonization of Long Island as the French extended their exploration south along the east coast from Quebec. Inexplicably it is not mentioned in any of the early Town of Brookhaven records or histories of Long Island. Perhaps the English, who were at war with the French at the time, did not want to provide any evidence of a French claim to Long Island. The stone is said to be from the famous Fire Place stone quarry, remnants of which can be seen at the Beaver Dam Road kettle hole near the intersection with Mott Lane (see Site ID Br24B.1-S).
|7||Br35.1-S. Beaver Dam Creek "Lighthouse"|
This private residence, on Lindner Court, Brookhaven, is at the mouth of Beaver Dam Creek as it enters the Great South Bay, and the man-made canals located there. It is distinguished by the "Lighthouse" tower, a landmark that can be seen far out into the bay.
|8||Br17.1.1-S. The Black House.|
.. originally built by N. Blair and Joan Munhofen mid-1950s. Sold by them after his retirement and move to the Carolinas. After a couple of ownership flips, the new owners painted it black in November, 2015.
The Hamlet People Database is maintained by
John Deitz. Copyright © 2011.